Sunday, December 7, 2008

Gee, can it possibly be time to grade final papers? Must be, because Alicia is procrastinating with multiple blog posts!

Actually, this is mostly a reminder to me. I might have mentioned that I'm in a poetry study group. We meet every Wednesday to read and discuss good poems, though Marlys did bring a poem by the World's Worst Poet (no, really, he has been so acknowledged!).

Anyway, I want to note the poems we read in the week, just because. Last week it snowed so we did Winter poems, so here is the list:
It Was Beginning Winter (what a lovely term), by Theodore Roethke

Futility
, by Wilfred Owen (anti-war poem, and we need those now!)

Remembrance, by Emily Bronte

The Night Is Darkening Round Me, again by E. Bronte

The Snow-storm
, by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sonnet 73 (the "bared ruin'd choir" one) by William Shakespeare

Poem 258 (There's a certain slant of light) by Emily Dickinson

Looking for a Sunset Bird in Winter by Robert Frost (Nice, but I brought it because I was trying to defy expectations that I'd bring Stopping by Woods :)

An Old Man's Winter Night by Robert Frost (ditto as above, but monster final tercet)

Those Winter Sundays by Robert Hayden (great show, final painful tell in last couplet, which is where it belongs)

2 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I once tried to read McGonagall...

Tried.

Edittorrent said...

Oh, you have to go to the website and sign up for the Gem of the Day.
They'll send you a quote from McG every day!!!
Alicia